Sunday, March 27, 2011

Autobiography - Informative yarn or self-indulgent tripe?

I've been reading a lot of music autobiographies lately.  In the past few months I've read the following:

  • Lobotomy by Dee Dee Ramone
  • Hound Dog by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
  • Bumping Into Geniuses by Danny Goldman
  • We'll Be Here For The Rest Of Our Lives by Paul Shaffer

and just finished yesterday

  • Tommy Land by Tommy Lee
My general assessment is this: I need to write my autobiography.  Especially after reading Lobotomy and Tommy Land.  Dee Dee and Tommy are not great writers and their books were a little disappointing although I cannot exactly figure out why.  Paul's book was all over the place and Danny's book didn't make sense until he hooked up with Led Zeppelin.  The only book that had any coherent direction was the Leiber/Stoller book.  Years ago I read Levon Helm's book This Wheel's On Fire - that was a good read.  But it seems most biographies are better reads when an author is telling the story from an outside perspective.  In an autobiography the subject talks about his/her self and there is hardly any self-editing.  In Tommy's book he had a running dialog with his dick.  To me that's sort of dumb.

So I should write my own story. Why the hell not?  I've done the same thing these guys have done (sort of) on a much smaller scale, I can be witty and entertaining, and I think I am a better writer.  My brain has not been fried with drugs or alcohol and I remember a lot of details from previous years and gigs.  It would probably be interesting only to me but that's o.k.  Shakespeare said, "Self-love is not so great a sin as self-neglect."  Dig it.

So.... where to begin?  I was born... 

1 comment:

  1. Well done, eric. I say write the damn thing! I read ur blog all the time...hell, i'm reading your autobiography one day at a time. A note for you; if you havent read Keith Richards' 'Life' yet, i urge you to do so, post-haste. And it's not all 'i got so fukd up on drugs, etc'. It actually goes to show that Keef, first and foremost, is/was a student of the blues, of just MUSIC. The drug stuff gets told, but not in a bragadocchio manner. It was one of the best reads to my memory...music autobiography or not, Keef's got a way with words.
    Keep up the writing, Lefty. U have an audience of at least ONE!

    ReplyDelete