Friday, March 25, 2011

Back In The Saddle... again

Welcome back.  I had my first gig since the 2011 SXSW Massacree last week with Two Hoots And A Holler last night at the Highball.  We followed the venerable Dale Watson, of course, and the room was filled with plenty of regular (from the dancing crowd) but also a lot of gawkers and yuppies.  Is that still a word in our vocabulary?  I would say there were a lot of "tourists" - people who are out of their element as it was.


You have to give it up for Dale - The man basically built Ginny's Little Longhorn one gig at a time and he is an Austin institution.  Here's my question: does trombone belong in country music?  I vote no but I never liked trombone.  Anyway after hearing Dale play before us for several gigs now I can honestly say I've heard his whole deal and it is what it is.  It almost seems like he's retired in Vegas every Thursday night, playing The Highball which has sort of that Vegas "vibe", wearing a smoking jacket and being serenaded by a 3 piece horn section.  Maybe that's the way he likes it and that's totally cool.  After all the shit that he's done in his life he would probably love to retire in Vegas.


So Dale Watson and His Large Unit* (there's 7 of 'em) eventually got off the stage and we were set to our task ahead.  Luckily a large number of dancers stayed around for our set which was good thing.  But I give our actual performance a B+ despite all the dancing.  The effects of last week's shenanigans was apparent in my own playing and even Matt mentioned putting on a brave face for the show.  All in all it was a very good night with people dancing to each and every song.  


I was paid one of the highest compliments by Marlon, a dancer who I have known for many years.  As he came onstage to thank the band he said to me, "You are a real dancer's drummer."  To which I replied a simple "Thanks Marlon," though I was deeply touched.  As the drummer I feel it is my duty to get people on the dance floor.  The band has a big part in it of course, but most people move to the beat.  Providing a foundation that these folks can two-step, twirl, and dip to is my goal.  They came out to see US, the least we can do is make them dance.  Do I want them to be moved by the lyric of an original tune?  Yes.  Do I want them to applaud the guitar solo?  But of course!  It does bring a smile to my face to know that they are on the floor, moving and shaking, because of my contribution to the beat.  I feel the same way about the Oldies Band and Mike Stinson's band - yes we are here to entertain, maybe enlighten, but we also want to see you on the dance floor.


Speaking of enlightenment I am going to see George Jones tonight.  I figured I better see him before he kicks the bucket or worse.  What's worse?  Recording a duet with Justin Beeber.  You know some old guy is gonna do it - people love that duet/crossover bullshit.  An old guy... like Tony Bennet .  Jesus... if it's the "Tone-ster" I'm going up on the roof with a rifle.  You have been warned.  And I'll let you know how George was/is.


*they are actually called Dale Watson and His Lone Stars


  

No comments:

Post a Comment