Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tuesday - The Aftermath / Wednesday - The Preview

Welcome back.  As I mentioned before we had to listen to a subpar band at BD Riley's before we played.  They were very forgettable to say the least.  However the drummer and the bass player were/are very nice guys who came to my Two Hoots show afterwards.
Many folks in the crowd knew Mike from his California days and they seemed to enjoy us, his new band.  Mike mostly stuck to the more rocking' new tunes and we laid it down the best we could.  I think we were a hit and the the audience enjoyed it very much.  When it was over I had to pack up my stuff and haul it 2 blocks east to the Jackalope.  (NOTE:  Dude from California who sponsored the gig:  It's very nice that you want to feed and drink the band however I would have appreciated a rented drum kit already set up for all bands to use.  Maybe even a bass rig as well.  6th Street was an absolute madhouse at 4:30 and trying to get through was a hassle.  So for next time: spend your money on gear and the bands will understand if their drinks aren't free.)
By the time we finished they had already started to close 6th street and the crowds were getting huge.  The film festival was wrapping up and the music fest was starting that evening.  Music was pouring from several clubs as Lance, Loren and I cart my stuff down the middle of 6th street (thanks guys).  We get into the Jackalope and the place is already packed.  The Moonhangers were setting up (thank goodness- real music) and getting ready to lay down their version of outlaw country.  Matt met me and handed my me wristband for the party:  he said it was a Tito's (TX vodka) party so who was I to argue?  I got a vodka on the rocks and had a seat to prepare myself for the rhythmic onslaught that would be Two Hoots And A Holler.
The MHS finished (brilliant, boys) and we set up only to find that the giant P.A. system belonged to another band and that Rick was going to have to sing through a little amplifier.  No worries.  We kicked off with "Shotgun Blast" followed by "Rock n' Roll, Honky Tonk Ramblin' Man" and then he said "Times They Are A-Changing, boys."   Really?  Now?  Third song?  OK!  We play the Bob Dylan classic as a train beat but our train is carrying TNT, gasoline, and 4th of July Fireworks as it careens down the steepest mountain pass at 300 miles per hour.  The audience was stunned.
There was a huge contingency of Norwegians there - all friends from Rick's many travels to that country.  Also there was many folks from my last gig there who seemed to be digging it.  We played 2 sets and rocked the house and then unloaded out the back next to one of the foulest dumpsters I have ever laid my nostrils on.  See folks - it's not all rock n' roll, free drinks and adoring fans.  Sometimes it's sweat, worn out muscles, and a stench that would kill a yak in 8 seconds.

TODAY:  Two country sets with the lovely and amazing Miss Leslie followed by a more honky-tonk set with Mike Stinson at Giddy Ups in waaaaaaaaaaaay south Austin.  I hear the place is huge and a real shit-kicking good time should be had by all.  At least it's away from the insanity that was downtown.  Today is looking like an easy load in and 2 great shows.  I'll let you know how it all turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment