Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friday's highs & lows - Saturday's preview

Welcome back. I'm doing today's post on my iPhone so please excuse any spelling errors.
Friday was a taste of things to come - played a 20 minute set at Maria's to an enthusiastic crowd but playing for 20 minutes is sort of ridiculous. You barely get warmed up and then you have to stop. I ran out of there and fought my way north to go to Rick's Norwegian party. He has many friends from Norway visiting and had a big ol' spread at his house. We visited with everyone for 20 minutes and then shoved a hamburger down my throat before heading back to Ginny's for a second happy hour set in 2 days with Mike. 3 hours later I was about to leave my drums at Ginny's for the rest of the weekend - due to scheduling I was hoping to leave my drums for everyone to use through my gig Saturday night. James Intveld totally kiboshed my perfect plan thereby screwing things up for 3 other drummers. The best laid plans....
A quick shower and a change of clothes and I was heading back south to play with Mike at Sam's Town Point. Where I was informed that we were running behind. By an hour and a half. So after playing to a small crowd I made it home around 1:30. There were quite a few people from L. A. and I heard all about it. It's nice that so many people come here from California and talk about California all the time. At some point if you live here you should stop talking about the old and embrace the coolness that is Austin. I only wish these folks would embrace TEXAS.
After a few hours of sleep I am now sitting at the Continental Club with the smell of puke wafting in the back door. To quote Robert Duval from Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of vomit in the morning. It smells like... victory."
So today's schedule: 9:30 AM Oldies (10:00 show)
2:00 Miss Leslie at the Broken Spoke
3:00 Mike Stinson at Waterloo Icehouse
4:30 Rick Broussard at Tom's Tabooley
7:15 Rick Broussard at The Highball - best set of the week.
8:30 Mike Stinson at G & S Lounge
9:00 Rick Broussard at Ginny's
If you so the math on those last 2 shows you will see a problem. I've had to hire a drummer to cover for me for the first set at Ginny's. Today is the first and last test of "the pressure of time". Wish me luck - it's almost 9:30!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment